Friday, March 12, 2010

I'll Answer, Dear Lord: Reflections on JS Manuscript

The section of the Doctrine and Covenants now known as Section 102 was originally recorded as meeting minutes on February 17, 1834, and it concerned the formation of the High Council of the church. It was on this day in February that 24 high priests gathered in Kirtland to organize and establish rules for the Council, which originally consisted of 12 high priests and one or two presidents. The purpose of the High Council was originally to "settle important differences which might arise in the church which could not be settled by the church or the Bishop's council to the satisfaction of the parties."

The presidents of this group were then called: Joseph Smith Jr., Sidney Rigdon, and Frederick G. Williams. By unanimous vote, 12 other men, including Joseph Smith Sr. and Oliver Cowdery, were chosen to be a part of the first High Council of the church. Upon being nominated for the position, each of the twelve men were called to 1) accept their appointments and 2) act in them according to the laws of heaven.

I would like to address the two-fold required response of men called to the High Council at this first meeting. Why were these men, who had already proven that they were faithful to the church, supposed to promise that they would accept their calling and act in it according to the laws of heaven?

The popular hymn, “I’ll Go Where You Want Me to Go” (no. 270 LDS Hymnbook) illustrates this principle well:

It may not be on the mountain height
Or over the stormy sea,
It may not be at the battle’s front
My Lord will have need of me.
But if, by a still, small voice he calls
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
I’ll go where you want me to go.

The key word in this hymn is not “I’ll go where you want me to go.” It is “I’ll answer.” When we are called to an assignment, we always need to affirm our commitment to the work we are assigned. Vocal confirmation of the right helps us to remember our commitments and also allows us to make a covenant with the Lord that will allow us to receive blessings if we are righteous. We are called to do the work. Our duty is to say “yes” and to acknowledge that we will do our part. Committing and then following through are marks of dutiful people and faithful Latter-Day Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment